Thursday, April 06, 2006

Bonjour

The flight from Qatar was long. We flew over Iraq and I waved to Sadam and the rest of the troops, they didn't wave back; bastards.
The flight over the North of Turkey was very clear; what a rugged place! Hard people must live there it looks such a harsh place.
I am using a European Keyboard, this is not a qwerty one and Kerry is checking me as I go, it is a bit payneful!
I love France so far but with no language it is a bit exciting, everything is an adventure. My abject failure as a french scholar in the 4th form at Heretaunga college did not prepare me for motorway signs flashing past at 130km! Kerry is getting better at figuring out where we are but figuring out where we are going to is still a mission. We stress a bit when turning corners, when passing people, when approaching intersections, through gear changes and nearing motorway on ramps and off ramps. Everything else is a piece of cake!
Accomodation is expensive and substandard. They would struggle to get Qualmarked in NZ. We are still sleeping soundly and according to Kerry noisiley! I love the breakfasts croisants and baguettes with butter and jam. Lots of Coffee. There are no fat people here they are walking adverts for Jenny Craig. They smoke alot but do it with supreme indifference for those surrounding them and with style and elegance. This sums up the French women on the whole they seem stylish and elegant, the men pant along behing wearing their desire on their sleeves, Kerry and I fit right in!
Off to Sisteron, why? Because it has a neat name and a town full of sisters seems very nunnish to me and as a good Catholic boy it just seems right.
I thought I would light a candle for Jeannie in the Cathedral in Aix, Kerry thought I was mad, she is probably right, but I didn't have a Euro so I couldn't. I risked a mortal sin if I had only put in the 87cents I had and I knew mum wouldn't want that on her conscience!
Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home