Thursday, February 07, 2013

The Big Easy to the Big Apple

I'm sitting in a lovely 90 year old Hotel, The Biltmore in Providence, Rhode Island. Vegas and New York had such shitty Wifi it was impossible to post! Here it is perfect and free!
New Orleans was fantastic we visited some "Gone with the Wind" houses beautiful with Crinoline for africa on display. The plantation owners life style was  significantly different from the other people on the Plantations. I always thought of King Cotton in this context but that was further North in the area we visited it was and still is Sugar Cane the key to it though is the river, The Missisippi, it supplied the soil, the water and the highway. The swamp or Bayou is so extensive and the land is so low lying and flood prone I wonder why you would live there.
Vegas, bright light city, sets your soul on fire. I don't gamble so for me it was more of a biscuit sampler, the Eiffel Tower and the Brocklyn bridge just dowm the road from the Pyramid and sphinx. We were at the MGM Grand huge 5000 rooms, electric blinds. They dissuade you from knowing what the time is and how much you've spent.
When we visited 22 years ago there 7.5 million visitors per annum now 35 million. It was a great cheap place to visit it aint cheap now! I flew out to the Grand Canyon a spectacular place and flight, well worth it. No John Wayne or the Lone Ranger but hey! Kerry bused out to the Hoover Dam and Lake Mead I flew over them and waved. We went to the Cique de Soleil Beatles show. That really was a treat an amazing performance proceeded by  great cocktail.
I have now had a Mint Julip in New Orleans, a Hello Goodbye in Vegas and a Manhattan in Manhattan; decadence.
New York is special, we walked miles and did all the usual but I suspect even if you lived there you couldn't do it all. I loved the Empire State, Central Park, the Museum of Natural History but I figure they are to busy to be nice or polite, helpful yes but polite no!
Television has a/lot to answer for. Here it is a caricature of life not reality. Fantasy land meats tasteless however the people we have met have been great, neat people with great senses of humour if a little lax on world affairs and geography. There are a group though that are prepared to loudly declaim their inner most feelings and everybody elses. I have an intimate knowledge of some peoples lives and I wasn't even part of the conversation!
Off to Cape Cod and the on to Boston for a meal with our Nephew Chris. It will be fun..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home