Sunday, November 08, 2015

Flagging the debate



We have all 6 flags currently flying on the flag poles at our Golf club. I will admit to indifference until I saw them all flying!

What is a flag? In my view it is a country logo on fabric. Like all good logos it needs to be distinctive. It needs to be distinctive enough to be protected. A solid brand image is required that clearly identifies our uniqueness.

I have accepted our flag as a symbol of our nationality and gloried when it is flown but if I looked from outside what does it tell me? Again, in my view, it says we are a little Britain in the middle of the Southern seas! In this respect our flag says the same thing as the Australian flag and is not that different to Fiji.

Now that I have seen the flags flying I think the flag that is Red, White and Blue with the Southern Cross and the fern looks superb. I could quite happily identify with that flag and wear it proudly where ever I went.

Could I draw it accurately, no! I can’t draw the Stars and Stripes or the German flag either but I could get a close approximation. I like the Canadian flag because it states who they are and I suspect that change wasn’t without angst. I don’t think you would see any Canadian wanting to change back to the old flag.


I have been captured by the debate and I have made my choice Red, White and Blue for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home