Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Guantanamo in the Indian Ocean



It would seem to me that one of the tenets of a civilised society is that the rule of law is observed. People should not be detained without due process.

I understand in the current climate that terrorism is an issue, as are illegal immigrants and Australia must take steps to protect itself.

I do suggest that if this is done without appropriate thought then unintended outcomes will occur. I suspect there is a level of hysteria attached to the perceived threats and as a consequence a sledgehammer has been used to remedy a perceived threat.

I realise that there are some real reprobates amongst those being held on Christmas Island but where is the line drawn? I am not sure they would send back Russell Crowe or Tony Abbott’s wife but they too are eligible for deportation back to New Zealand if they transgress. They are eligible for incarceration on Christmas Island too; they were both born in New Zealand!

Australia has always had an affinity with the United States and maybe it is a matter of envy that the Americans have Guantanamo Bay so they need something equivalent, I’m not sure and I am being a bit facetious.

Australia has always embraced the ANZAC spirit, the special relationship, I suspect that they have misplaced the truism that the NZ in ANZAC stands for New Zealand, brother in arms and allies.

The current situation on Christmas Island is shabby but Australia’s treatment of New Zealanders in Australia has been getting shabbier and shabbier for some time and this current scenario is just another example of a deteriorating relationship.


I suspect that Australia is starting to feel the effects of populist politicians over a number of decades and they are playing to another populist policy to identify a scapegoat for their current and self-generated issues.

I wonder if they will now extradite Kane Williamson and Ross Taylor for their threat to Australian cricketing supremacy?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home